Recipes @ Suite101.com: Preparing Hard-Boiled Eggs

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Preparing Hard-Boiled Eggs

Around Easter, no doubt you'll be preparing eggs for Easter breakfast or brunch. I like hard-boiled eggs, but I never knew how to cook the eggs properly. I always tended to overcook them.

However, I learned this technique from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook that lets you achieve those perfect hard-boiled eggs. Just place the eggs in a small saucepan, pour cold water over the eggs to cover them, and then place the pan over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and let the eggs cook for about 1 minute. Once the eggs have cooked for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan, and let the eggs remain in the water for 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, drain off the water, and place the eggs in a bowl of cold water until they are cool to the touch so you can peel them. Voila! No more dark egg yolks. You'll have bright-yellow yolks to serve to your family or guests.

I've also found that this same technique for preparing hard-boiled eggs works well if you plan to be making deviled eggs too. Check out these delicious recipes with eggs.

And while you're preparing eggs, don't forget to leave a few eggs for you and your children to dye. It's one project I remember enjoying with my mother every Easter when I was growing up.

Source: The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, Clarkson & Potter Publishers, New York, NY, 2001, p. 63.

No comments:

Post a Comment